Monday, December 17, 2012

Weird Dreams, part 1

As a  horror fan, and a girl with a pretty vivid imagination, I'm prone to some pretty effed up dreams. And I don't mean effed up as in scary; I mean seriously weird. Some people say that there's a meaning to every dream we have; that a dream is simply a message that our subconscious is trying to tell us. I don't know how much of that I believe, personally, but it is interesting to wonder just why in the hell I dream the things I do. It's something I've always wanted to explore, so I bring to you one of my weird dreams--and this is the weirdest of them all.

***

I've always been interested in the psyches and actions of real-life serial killers, and one that I find incredibly interesting is Jeffrey Dahmer. So, of course, I had a dream about him. Beware: this jumps around a lot and makes absolutely no sense.

So, I'm in a movie theater on a field trip (though, at the time of the dream, I had been out of school for a good year or two) watching a movie about Jeffrey Dahmer. I'm glued to the screen for most of it, but then I notice this guy sitting next to me. I turn to him and say, "Hey, you look kind of like Jeffrey." And he says, "That's because I am." We leave the theater together. Fast forward some years, and apparently Jeffrey and I have fallen in love and are engaged to be married. All of my friends try to warn me that he's no good, that he'll kill me if I stay with him; but love is blind, and I don't listen. Indeed, he does attempt to kill me, but I am the stronger one, and I chop his head off to save myself. Though I killed him in a very gruesome manner, I still loved him, so I'm naturally devastated by my loss. Eventually I find myself wandering through some futuristic mall that's made entirely of glass. I meet some of my old friends and, though they warned me all those years ago, they're sympathetic. I meet some friends who actually want to help, by way of video games. So we get into a video game booth, which transports us to Mexico. While in Mexico, we play around with some boxes like a bunch of kids, until we're attacked by a swarm of giant red bugs and are forced to flee back into our video-game-portal. We return to the mall, where I sit sadly in the food court and watch some kids throw french fries at each other. Then, all of a sudden, Jeffrey returns. He's propped up against a column very casually...wearing a doughnut costume. I walk up to him and stutter, "I-I-I thought you were dead." He slowly shakes his head and smiles...and I wake up.

***

So that was one of my weirder dreams. What could it mean? The doughnut costume I understand, because I had watched the movie Sex Drive not long before I had the dream. But the rest is completely foreign to me. I have no idea why I would dream such things. I'm not crazy; I'm not in love with serial killers (at least, not real ones who harm real people). Jeffrey Dahmer was gay, and he died in the '90s anyways, so there's no way for me to meet him at all (not that I want to). Plus, he only killed boys and men, so why would he kill a woman who loved him? So many questions, yet I have no answers. I know nothing about dream interpretation, so if there's anyone out there that could give me a clue as to what this jumbled mess could mean...Please do so. I'm very curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment